Friday, January 6, 2012

Azna- Mother God (PBP'12 WK 1)

Image Credit: Christina Simonds 
I'm not your typical Pagan (as if there is such a thing). I follow a path that is Gnostic in nature (You can find more info here). I still worship a duality, but rarely do I run into another Pagan who has heard or knows anything about them. I don't use the titles of Lord and Lady, because for me the titles Father and Mother mean so much more. My Mother God carries the name Azna, and my Father God carries the name OM. 

And I owe Them my time here on this plane. We each carry a spark of the divine within us. Our spirits make their journey here to learn; to perfect themselves. In an effort to do this we incarnate to experience, to learn lessons, to test ourselves. As our Father God is intellect, we feed our experiences and learned knowledge back to Him as He holds all that there is static within His hands.

Azna, our Mother God, is our Father’s equal.  She is omnipotent, and is everywhere at once. She is our emotional element, and brings us Her love, Her protection and Her guidance. Azna is our interceptor; She creates miracles and dispels negativity.  She is the universal goddess of fertility, of war, of justice, of love and of healing. She is known the world over by hundreds of names and images: Isis, Quan Yin, Tyche, Asherah, Buku or Mary among many others.

There are a lot of references in my particular brand of Gnosticism to Jesus and the Mother Mary. Let me clarify though. I do not hold any faith in the bible. In fact, I think they got it all wrong. However, I do feel there is a strong connection between Azna and Mother Mary. I do believe Jesus to have been an amazing and misunderstood prophet. But since I believe us all to be the children of the Mother and Father God, Jesus does not rank any higher on the totem pole than you or I.

And since there is little known of Azna, I like to turn to the ancient scripts of the Nag Hammadi. These text are beautifully written and are believed to be the missing gospels. Commonly call the Gnostic Gospels as they were withheld from the original Christian doctrine constructed in AD 325 during the Council of Nicaea. The following are segments from the Nag Hammadi which I believe to reference God the Mother:


I was sent forth from the power,
And I have come to those who reflect upon me,
and I have been found among those who seek after me.
Look upon me, you who reflect upon me,
And you hearers hear me.
You, who are waiting for me, take me to yourselves.
And do not banish me from your sight.
And do not make your voice hate me, nor your hearing.
Do not be ignorant of me anywhere or anytime.
Do not be ignorant of me.
For I am the first and the last.
I am the honored one and the scorned one.
I am the whore and the holy one.
I am the wife and the virgin,
I am the mother and the daughter.

I am the silence that is incomprehensible
and the idea whose remembrance is frequent.
I am the voice whose sound is manifold
and the word whose appearance is multiple.
I am the utterance of my name.

You, who tell the truth about me, lie about me,
and you, who have lied about me, tell the truth about me.
You who know me, be ignorant of me,
and those who have not known me let them know me.
For I am knowledge and ignorance.
I am shame and boldness.
I am shameless; I am ashamed.
I am strength and I am fear.
I am war and I am peace.

Give heed to me,
I am the one who is disgraced and the great one.
I am compassionate and I am cruel.

I am the one who has been hated everywhere
and who has been loved everywhere.
I am the one, whom they call Life,
and you have called Death.
I am the one, whom they call Law,
and you have called Lawlessness.

On the day when I am close to you, you are far away from me.
And on the day when I am far away from you, I am close to you.

Give heed then, you hearers
and you spirits who have arisen from the dead.
For I am the one who alone exists,
and I have no one who will judge me.

And when you find me;
you will live,
and you will not die again.

I've already written the chart, or plan, for my life. The events within it are unavoidable. However, I can petition Mother Azna for help through them, to help ease the pain that these events may cause. But through them all I must remember my purpose and reasoning for my time here. Through knowledge and experience I will learn and perfect my eternal soul.

If this leaves you with any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the comment section. 

I also want to thank Rowan Pendragon and her amazing Pagan Blog Project 2012 for giving me the opportunity and motivation to get this post out there! 

Please respect this blog and the associated blogger by not reproducing any part of 'The Multi-Faceted Experience' without consent from the author. If you would like to share this blog, posting of links is welcomed. Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful insight into your faith. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for letting us see so much of your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful and thank you for sharing. I am one of the many who have never heard of Azna so this was enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I can feel your love for your Gods in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really lovely and insightful post on Azna and on your beliefs. While I do not share all I find myself relating to some - and the segments from the Nag Hammadi you posted remind me strongly of the Charge of the Goddess that I use in my rituals (I am a Shamanic witch but also belong to an eclectic Wiccan Coven). What always amazes me (and warms my heart) is that no matter what different beliefs we hold, one can always find similarities. So no room for prejudice or judgement. Wonderful post.
    Blessings
    Deep~Glade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words regarding my post. Its one I've wanted to write for awhile, just never had the courage to actually post it. And agree CelticaWitch, that there are so many similarities that it leaves little room for prejudice or judgement, part of the reason I love this path in all of its eclectic glory!

    Blessings,
    Kourtney

    ReplyDelete